Releasing TaskBotJS 0.9.0 - General Availability
So, big news today - this is the day when TaskBotJS receives its first official release!
The version jump from 0.1.0.alpha.5 to 0.9.0 is a pretty big one, but I feel that 0.9.0 better reflects the status of TaskBotJS. It’s a lot closer to a 1.0, “I would recommend this to anybody under the sun” release than it is to an 0.1, “bring a stiff drink and be ready to dive into the code if it breaks” one. Not only have I been running the code that’s become TaskBotJS in production for some time now, I’ve now started running TaskBotJS itself in production, and while there are still some rough edges I believe it’s ready for you to check out.
You can get TaskBotJS on NPM and peruse the detailed wiki on GitHub.
For folks already using it, 0.9.0 has only one major change from earlier versions that’s worth knowing about, and that’s we’ve done away with the done set. Previously, completed jobs were being added to a zset called
sorted/done mostly because–well, I could, and in the environment where TaskBotJS started I just plain didn’t have enough data going through it to have the growing done set present a problem. But as time has gone on I’ve gotten to the point where my tests put hundreds or thousands of jobs through it at a time, and the done set (along with the unreclaimed job data necessary to allow the done set to be browsed) was just ballooning out of control. Eventually the janitor process would cut it down to size as intended, but one user was seeing RAM bounce up into the hundreds of megabytes and there just wasn’t a significant, actionable benefit to recording successfully completed jobs–to be honest, I can’t think of a time when I’d care to do so and couldn’t just use my logs to get a better picture than looking at the finished job descriptor would provide.
So, here we go. First for-realsies release of TaskBotJS. Try it out and let me know what you think on GitHub, via email, or via Twitter.